About NACC

The existence of NACC, the Niagara Arts and Cultural Center, was made possible by the purchase of the former Niagara Falls High School by Save our Sites in Niagara Falls, Inc. (SOS Niagara) in 2001. The school, which had been slated for demolition following the completion of a new high school, is located on a commanding site at the intersection of Pine Avenue and Portage Road in the heart of Niagara Falls. SOS Niagara is a not-for-profit citizens' group dedicated to preserving architecturally and historically significant sites in the Niagara Falls, NY area.

Designed by architect William Ittner of St. Louis, MO, and constructed in 1924, the building replaced an earlier building lost to fire. A handsome, three-story, concrete, steel and stone building, NACC is sited on a rise and is set back on a broad lawn. Notable features of the building include classical architectural ornamentation, wide use of oak woodwork, an ornate 1,000 seat auditorium and a 90-seat library/theater.

The conversion of the empty building into an Arts and Cultural Center began in earnest in June, 2001. Today, artists, theater groups, music and ballet schools, gift shop featuring work by NACC resident artists, a coffee shop, gallery and interactive children's center occupy nearly all of the available space.

A wide and growing range of activities at NACC include theater, gallery shows, lectures, visual and performing art instruction, special events, cooperative ventures with area festivals, and NACC events.


Home Contact NACC About NACC Search NACC

Home
NACC Events
Artists in Residence
Support
Gallery
Gift Shop
E-News
Board of Directors
Directions
Links
Site Map

 

   

 
   

NACC ARTS 2002 - All Rights Reserved.